Looking for the best ice cream in Fredericksburg, VA? We’ve got you covered! We’ve pulled together a list of delightful spots that elevate the frozen treat experience. We’re skipping the chain restaurants and focusing on locally owned spots. From inventive seasonal flavors to classic custards served in nostalgic atmospheres, the city is a haven for ice cream enthusiasts. Whether you’re a local seeking a new favorite haunt or a visitor eager to explore the sweet side of Fredericksburg, get ready to satisfy your sweet tooth and discover the scoop on these exceptional ice cream establishments!
Best Ice Cream in Fredericksburg, VA
- Blue Cow Ice Cream Co.- This popular spot has locations all across Virginia and the Fredericksburg location is worth the visit. They have creative, seasonal ice cream flavors, so there’s always something new to try! Our favorite flavor: Blue Cow Patty which is made with Butterfingers, Oreos, and chocolate chips layered in dark chocolate ice cream.
- Abner B’s Ice Cream– Abner B’s has created over 375 ice cream, sorbet, and frozen yogurt flavors, so they know how to make a tasty frozen treat. They have a second location in Stafford, VA. Our favorite flavor: Their chocolate chip cookie dough is hard to beat, but we also love trying their seasonal flavors.
- Carl’s Frozen Custard– This local favorite is known for its classic custard and nostalgic atmosphere. The difference between ice cream and frozen custard is eggs! A higher concentration of eggs and butterfat makes the cream much richer and thicker. Our favorite flavor: Strawberry, although it’s hard to go wrong with vanilla or chocolate. Keep in mind they only have a few flavors, but it’s quality over quantity.
- Goolrick’s Modern Pharmacy Soda Fountain– This historic pharmacy has a soda fountain that serves ice cream treats, making it a unique and charming spot. Our favorite flavor: We recommend getting one of their classic milkshakes!
- The Italian Station– While it’s not exclusively an ice cream spot, this Italian place has a selection of gelato that is worth the trip! Our favorite flavor: Pumpkin Gelato — but it is seasonal, so keep your eyes peeled for other flavors!